Friday, March 16, 2012

Teach with your Strengths, part 1 of 2

I came across this book not too long ago in 2010. This book comes from a series of book from the Gallup Press.  Read more there.

We tend to ask the common question of priority, "What do I work on first, my strength or my weaknesses?"  I had asked this question prior to starting my doctorate program.  My advisor at the time posed this conundrum to me and shared me both philosophies of thinking.  Some would work on their weaker areas to make them stronger.  Others will go all the way with they are good at so they can become experts in their field.  I chose the latter.  Why?  First, I am rooted in a Biblical Worldview in how God dispenses every believer spiritual gifts.

Romans 12:6-8 says,
"6Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: ifprophecy, in proportion to our faith; 7ifservice, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness."

Second, if God has given us these unique gifts, why would we neglect it, but rather improve upon them.  The book ""Teach with your Strengths" follows these Biblical principles.  Although not written to a Christian audience, the book does support the principle that we should continue to A) Strengthen our Gifts, and b) Minimize our Weaknesses.  It takes more energy to focus on our weaknesses to make them even at par.  But the extreme energy exerted on improving our weaknesses will go further when we focus on our Strengths.  Let's focus on our strengths.

In the next article (part 2 of 2), we will discover what my strengths are... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment