Saturday, March 24, 2012

Feedback, Part II

I remember receiving feedback based on my teaching for the first time as a teenager. I grew up in a small town, in a very open and supportive church. Shortly after my call to ministry my Sunday School teacher was going to be away on vacation. Naturally, I volunteered to teach. Unnaturally, she allowed it. I prepared my lesson---thoroughly. I collected all the supplies I needed for activities, arrived early to set-up, and taught the class.

In the middle of the session the substitute teacher arrived (as he was informed the regular teacher was away on vacation). I assume he was afraid we would be destroying the youth room and was shocked to find all in order and an actual lesson taking place. After the session he informed me that I did a fantastic job and expressed how surprised he was to find me teaching. He offered little other critique. He did not critique my methods, theology, or any other part of the session. He simply offered an honest word of praise and shock.

Following the discussion with the substitute one of the youth approached me and through tearfilled eyes thanked me for teaching that morning. She claimed God spoke to her and the lesson was just what she needed to hear.

Looking back, all those comments fueled the fire for me. I was given the confidence needed to press on and keep looking for opportunities to teach. I cannot remember what scripture passage I utilized or the point of the lesson (although I have some vague ideas). But I can, with great certainty, say it was probably not very good. I'm sure my exegesis and theology were off. I'm sure my methods were poorly thought out. I'm sure it was just all around an amateur job.

However, God can still work. The Spirit can still teach. Even when we think the lesson is horrible and the points are not coherent. So, while I'm certain my lesson was not that great, I'm sure I was open, willing, and ready. Sometimes, that is all it takes, even when the content is not perfect (however, please note I am not suggesting we ignore the careful task of preparation when teaching).

In light of it all, the praise and encouragement was right on point at that time in my life. Had the substitute said something harsh or hurtful I may have never taught another class and would have never arrived at this point in my career and calling.

1 comment: