Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Feedback, Part IV: College Students

In my first post of this series I discussed the feedback I received from the class I've been co-teaching. As a closing post I'd like to share a few of the comments I received on those little note cards. Some are funny. Some are kind. Some are harsh. And many contradict each other. It's a learning experience to read over them. I've only included a few of 40-or-so I collected here. You'll quickly notice one aspect of the class that almost ALL students appreciated. So, just for fun, as an act of semi-transparency, here they are:

1. You were AWESOME. The notes were helpful and I loved the activity--so fun. P.S. Don't be nervous.
2. You were very creative with the activity, it was enjoyable and a great way to learn.
3. You were very clear and confident.
4. You related and connected with us well.
5. The lecture was good but I would have liked a bit more information. You clung to the notes too closely. But I loved the activity!
6. Be confident and louder.

7. You didn't allow enough time for group discussions---we kept getting cut off.
8. Go slower on the PP, but they were excellent notes.
9. Clear, good activity, just chill.
10. I didn't get the activity, but that's probably just me.
11. Good job with the presentation and engaging. You kept the class on track and relevant. But be sure to fact check your presentation so you are credible.
12. It was too structured.
13. You answered our questions well and kindly. Great activity.
14. Interact more and don't be nervous.
15. I liked everything (esp. the activity).

As teachers, receiving feedback and critique is a great way to improve our craft. The challenge lies in which pieces to focus upon and which ones to let go of. It can be quite the task deciding which points to take to heart and which to "take with a grain of salt" or, dare I say it, ignore. I have yet to master which pieces of feedback and critique to focus in on and which to let go of. I'd love to hear suggestions from others!

No comments:

Post a Comment