Friday, March 23, 2012

Student Feedback

At this point in my journey I've taught a number of classes, in a number of settings, to a number of different audiences. Through it all I have valued critique and feedback on a number of levels.
Recently, a wise woman in my life suggested having students fill out feedback cards (notecards or slips of paper) throughout the semester to gain feedback all along the course of the semester instead of relying solely on end-of-course evaluations (which you only have as a source of feedback if you teach the course full-time and not as a Teaching Assistant, like I often do).

So, after teaching a few weeks ago I asked the professor I'm co-teaching a course with if I could take five minutes at the beginning of class to get some feedback from the students. He is gracious and believes in growing as a teacher (which I am so grateful for), so he allowed me the time.

It is amazing what students will come up with. It is amazing what some notice. It is amazing what some will write when they know it is anonymous and they do not have to claim the comment.

I'm interested in knowing how the process of feedback and critique has been for others. In the next several posts I'll be writing some additional blogs about feedback and classroom teaching--both good and bad--from my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment