Thursday, March 15, 2012

Instructor Styles: The Co-learner

While there are countless styles teachers can choose from, as an instructor my overall aim is to aid students in their journey toward growth in knowledge and practice of the subject matter. In light of such,  I seek to, in some ways, stand on equal ground with my students. I long for my students to feel heard, valued, and respected. My intent is to mentor them in the subject matter while giving them the freedom to ask questions, wrestle with the content, and develop their voice. In so doing, I hope to also learn, grow, and wrestle with the topic(s) at hand.

A quaint book by Gloria Durka, The Teacher's Calling, suggests students learn more effectively in co-learning environments stating, “It is more effective to learn where the teacher speaks and listens, gives and asks, welcomes comments and insights, encourages students to think for themselves and help each other in the learning process” (45). However, we must also remain the "teacher."  While being open and respectful, we also need a sense of our own authority.  Durka echos my point saying, “We need the personal courage to make demands on our students . . . to do the work that is necessary to learn well. We need a sense of our authority” (50).

Striking a balance between authority and openness fostered through co-learning can be a great challenge. It is a balance I have not yet mastered. At times students can, and will, take advantage of my co-learner stance as a teacher. Being inviting and striving to be a co-learner while maintaining authority is a fine line to walk. I hope as I grow in experience and practice I will become better at mastering the tightrope walk such a style of teaching requires.

Nonetheless, at the end of the day, I fully and firmly believe in the power of being a co-learner. I have seen the depth of such a practice displayed in both classes I have participated in and taught. Learning together can be a powerful tool for both material mastery and transformation. Cooperation is a God-given gift. As a teacher, I have a unique opportunity to utilize that gift, to its fullest potential, to aid students along their quest for knowledge, growth, and transformation.

I hope you will join me in seeking to master this instructional style and offer your comments, reflections, and suggestions concerning this instructional practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment